Monday, July 30, 2007

craigslist for pedophiles

So I wake up this morning, make myself a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, and turn on CNN. The story that greets my eyes is that of a self-proclaimed pedophile in southern California who goes around finding events with lots of little girls, and takes pictures of them. He rates these events (1 to 5 adorable little hearts); he gives dates, times, etc.; and then he posts them on his website.

...Creepy.

The strangest part about this scenario is that this is legal. I suppose I can see how taking pictures of a public event would be legal, but surely intent must play some role in this? I was under the impression that to take pictures of children, you had to have parental permission. However, I browsed the CA (and NC) statutes and found no such restrictions.

While this particular pedophile isn't really hurting anyone, posting all this information on his website could lead to some other more aggressive pedophiles tracking down and abusing some of these girls. Could this person be held accountable for the information posted on his website if it leads to a crime? I should hope so.

This sounds like an episode of Law & Order.

No comments: